Old Orchard Beach
Earliest records of the Old Orchard Beach area date back to 1653. The first settler, Thomas Rogers, established "Garden by the Sea "in 1657. The "old" apple orchard, from which the town took its name, a landmark to sailors for many years, was on high land above the long sand beach. In 1820 Maine, formally part of Massachusetts, became a State by act of Congress.
In 1892 electric trolley cars replaced horse cars to Biddeford and Saco. 1898 proved to be an unfortuitous year to complete the first Pier. Built of steel and measuring 1,770 feet long and 20 feet above the tides, their Pier was severely damaged in November of that same year. 1900 brought the first town hall and 1902 the first amusement area complete with roller skating, merry-go-round, rides, games, and refreshment stands. The Portland to Old Orchard Beach Electric Railway opened in 1903 where 14 miles of track were traveled in under one hour for $.20.
Sparked by Lindbergh's daring flight, many Trans-Atlantic flights took advantage of Old Orchard Beach's long stretch of wide hard packed sand to attempt their own crossings. The storm of February 1978 almost demolished the Pier, and a new pier was immediately planned. Today's Pier opened in June 1980.
Enjoy Old Orchard Beach as millions have for over 250 years!
Biddeford/Old Orchard Links
Updated: 19th November, 2018 5:22 AM.